Mike Duke, former Walmart CEO - Cecil B. Day Distinguished Speaker Series
GT alumnus Michael T. Duke is the former president and chief executive officer of Walmart, Inc. As a Distinguished Executive Fellow at Scheller College of Business, he works with the Dean of the College, Maryam Alavi, on strategic initiatives and strengthening partnerships with the local and national business communities.
During his five-year tenure as CEO, Mr. Duke helped Walmart navigate a period of economic, social and technological change while delivering strong financial results. He put in place the building blocks for the company’s future by making critical investments in technology and talent, including a strong management team. He also broadened Walmart’s commitment to lead on some of the most pressing social and environmental issues of our time. He has long been a champion for diversity and was especially engaged in the advancement of women, both inside and outside the company.
Mr. Duke joined Walmart in 1995, and over his 19 years with the company led the logistics, distribution and administration divisions as well as Walmart U.S. In 2005, he was appointed to vice chairman with responsibility for Walmart International.
Prior to joining Walmart, Mr. Duke had 23 years of experience in retailing with Federated Department Stores and May Department Stores.
Mr. Duke continues to serve on the Board of Directors of Walmart, Inc. He has previously served on the board of directors of Chick-Fil-A, The Consumer Goods Forum, the executive committee of Business Roundtable, the board of advisors of the University of Arkansas, and the advisory board of the Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management in Beijing, China. He is also a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
He graduated from Georgia Tech with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering. He and his wife, Susan, have two daughters and a son.
Honors and Awards
• Honorary Doctorate from Georgia Tech
• Named to National Academy of Engineering
• Georgia Tech Engineering Hall of Fame
• Committee Encouraging Philanthropy (CECP) – Force for Good Award
• Salute from the Chief of Staff of the Army – Outstanding Civilian Service Award
• Executives’ Club of Chicago – International Executive of the Year Award
• Grocery Manufacturers Association – Hall of Achievement Award
• Committee for Economic Development (CED) – Global Leadership Award
• Economic Arkansas – Excellence in Free Enterprise Award
• Honorary Doctorate from the University of Arkansas